20th Aug

Assuming VA health services do not have the in-house expertise necessary for treating GID, can I be referred to civilian doctors and have the costs underwritten by VA?

If one has treated the VA personnel with respect, there is a good chance that they would provide unofficial advice on how to locate a gender therapist and other trans-friendly health care providers, if they have the information.  It is highly unlikely that the VA would provide any financial coverage for such outside support.